Chain Reaction Cycles
- Deployment of a scalable eCommerce ready Matflo solution
- Implementation of a standard WMS controlling both automated and manual sites
- Delivery of a co-ordinated voicedriven sub-system into the fully integrated overall architecture
Chain Reaction Cycles (CRC) is the world’s largest on line bike store. It offers in excess of 80,000 different products, from its purpose built facility in Ballyclare, just outside Belfast.
As well as selling, bicycles, spare parts and accessories, it now also offers winter sports goods from its Northern Ireland based distribution centres. It exports to 180 countries worldwide.
As their phenomenal year on year growth continued, CRC recognised they needed to take the step from a small/medium company driven IT infrastructure, to a more forward thinking functionally rich and flexible supply chain infrastructure, which could evolve and expand with them. To this end they selected DAI, and their component based Matflo solution.
Uniquely in the supply chain IT landscape, DAI are able to provide a fully integrated automated warehousing solution, a manual solution, and also a broader supply chain solution, all within the same, common, fully integrated Matflo suite.
An overhaul of the supply chain systems that drive an eCommerce business is always challenging. DAI experience in delivering a phased approach to system roll out, and proven post-delivery support, ensured a successful project, and continued success to all.
The solution was split into different phases, and continued evolution and expansion of the cross site IT solution still continues.
- The first phase comprised of the implementation of 35 Vocollect Talkman terminals, together with 20 packing terminals, made up of touch screen, bar code scanner and label & document printers into their existing warehouse facility.
- The second phase involved the full Matflo WMS deployment into the control of a semi-automated DC. Some of the standard Matflo components selected for deployment at CRC included, pick to voice, goods in, stock management, replenishment components.
- A third phase was introduction of a Delivery Management System (Matflo CMS) to provide carrier selection and labelling for all sites, including integration with automated on-conveyor labelling machinery, and integration of real-time and multi-leg carrier services.
- The next phase was the roll out of Matflo WMS into two manual sites, controlled via RDT and bar code scanning.
The Matflo solution that has been implemented can continue to grow as the CRC operation expands. Currently at CRC it is deployed into a manual and a semi-automated facility. It also drives the carrier management selection, and integration into the different carriers, providing total track & trace visibility to customers, hence not only improving site efficiency but enhancing the customer’s shopping experience.
Key to any eCommerce business is the flexibility to evolve, Matflo offers this, allowing changes to be made as the customers’ offering changes.